couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Batch mode options for CouchDB 4.0
Date Wed, 23 Oct 2019 11:50:27 GMT

> On 23. Oct 2019, at 13:32, Arturo GARCIA-VARGAS <arturo@ficuslabs.com> wrote:
>
> Well, a consumer would be explicitly waiting the the accept response code like responseCode
=== '202' as a sign of "success".  We have silently broken the consumer.

> Granted a consumer should cater for a '201' response, but the docs explicitly say you
do not get a 201 when using batch=ok.

A consumer that can’t deal with different HTTP response codes already isn’t doing HTTP
correctly. They could already equally receive a 400, 401, 500 or any other variety or responses,
so I think we’re fine here.

> On 23/10/2019 12:29, Jan Lehnardt wrote:
>>> On 23. Oct 2019, at 13:25, Arturo GARCIA-VARGAS <arturo@ficuslabs.com>
wrote:

>>> My opinion....

as if the setting was not there. That is, make the same durable commit as normal. We should
therefore send a 201 Created response code. We should continue to validate the batch setting
(it can be absent or it can be "ok" but every other value is a 400 Bad Request).

>>> -1 from me, we should:
>>> 1. Drop it and be consistent with the API.  Maybe warning of deprecation in couchdb-3?
>>> 2. Enable same behaviour as before (accepted) with a no-op and config file parameter.
>>>
>>> But not modify the behaviour of the API
>> Can you explain why?
>> The proposed behaviour is no worse than what the option enables, and it ensures that
existing software continues to work without (much) change.