couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Batch mode options for CouchDB 4.0
Date Wed, 23 Oct 2019 11:29:07 GMT

> On 23. Oct 2019, at 13:25, Arturo GARCIA-VARGAS <arturo@ficuslabs.com> wrote:
>
> My opinion....
>
> On 23/10/2019 12:15, Jan Lehnardt wrote:
> >
> >> On 23. Oct 2019, at 12:40, Robert Samuel Newson <rnewson@apache.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Just confirming my position on this. We should treat a request with batch=ok
as if the setting was not there. That is, make the same durable commit as normal. We should
therefore send a 201 Created response code. We should continue to validate the batch setting
(it can be absent or it can be "ok" but every other value is a 400 Bad Request).

> -1 from me, we should:
> 1. Drop it and be consistent with the API.  Maybe warning of deprecation in couchdb-3?
> 2. Enable same behaviour as before (accepted) with a no-op and config file parameter.
>
> But not modify the behaviour of the API

Can you explain why?

The proposed behaviour is no worse than what the option enables, and it ensures that existing
software continues to work without (much) change.

API purity for the sake of it is not really a goal here.

Best
Jan