couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Alexander Shorin <>
Subject Re: start translation of the docs into German language
Date Thu, 17 Oct 2013 23:25:27 GMT
On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 1:32 AM, Andy Wenk <> wrote:
> a. Here you can find a workflow description of translations with Sphinx
> Do we also want the process of generation .pot and .po files to enable
> translators using a tool (e.g. or using pootle to
> translate in the specific language?

I think .pot and .po files should be generated and let translators use
tools they like. Pootle is good service to keep pulse on whole
translation state.

> b. I found two examples for multilingual documentation of projects
> (1) (short description:
> (2)
> Both approaches are using a directory structure, where the different docs
> are located in a folder like en, de, es and so on. each folder has it's own
> and a in a conf directory for Shpinx. I think this is the
> way how it should be done.

This approach looks simple in setup, but hell in support - we'll get
different docs content for each language which will only confuse
people and force them prefer "default language"  version.

Also, there is a big problem with RTD service: it doesn't supports
multilang docs even if he promotes url with explicitly defined
language - we should move docs hosting to somewhere else (CouchDB
itself is good host).

View raw message