couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Octavian Damiean <odami...@linux.com>
Subject Re: [REVIEW] Docs update
Date Tue, 13 Aug 2013 08:58:14 GMT
On Fri, Aug 9, 2013 at 4:04 PM, Filippo Fadda <
filippo.fadda@programmazione.it> wrote:

> Actually the Installation of "Unix-like systems" is full of "you are
> driving me crazy" things.
> I didn't try, but I'm pretty sure to install on RedHat, CentOS, Fedora you
> just need "yum install couchdb" like "apt-get install couchdb" on Debian
> style distro like Ubuntu. Let's apply the KIS principle, even to the
> documentation.
>
> It's OK having a detailed section that list all the dependencies but
> that's something, probably, used only by developers or people having
> troubles on their systems. So, also the UNIX section should be revised with
> the minimum required steps to install CouchDB on the various distro.
> All the Unix stuff should be moved to "Install from source" section, where
> find all the dependencies you need to compile CouchDB, tips and tricks, etc.

​It's really not that simple.​​ For the bleeding edge distros a package
manager solution might be enough, as they might have CouchDB in a
relatively new version in their repository but most don't.

Here is the current CouchDB version situation in different distros and
versions of that distro.

Arch Linux: 1.4.0
Debian Wheezy (stable): 1.2.0
Debian Jessie (testing): 1.2.0
Debian Sid (unstable): 1.2.0
Fedora 18: 1.2.1
Fedora 19: 1.2.2
Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin: 1.0.1
Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal: 1.2.0
Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail: 1.2.0
Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander (still in development, might change): 1.2.0

So the overall picture doesn't look that good to me. None of those
distributions provide an up-to-date stable version of CouchDB, only Arch
Linux provides a bleeding edge version which is better than nothing but
still not really satisfying in my opinion.

The build from source procedures are required and we should probably try to
create a build tool like the Mozilla guys have for Firefox. I'm talking
about "mach" if anyone is wondering. That tools makes it really easy to
build from source using one command.

Just my 2cents on the Linux part as that's pretty much my area of expertise.

​Cheers,​
--
Octavian Damiean

GitHub: https://github.com/mainerror