couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Filipe David Manana <>
Subject Re: Proposal for changes in view server/protocol
Date Mon, 02 Aug 2010 21:20:56 GMT
On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 9:20 PM, Paul Davis <> wrote:
> The _list/_show/_update code sits in front of CouchDB and is more of a
> friendly layer to interfacing with CouchDB from client apps. What I've
> noticed is that most of the issues could be solved if the code
> implementing the front side were just implemented separately. Perhaps
> with access to an HTTP client that connects to CouchDB. Or something
> that is more async in nature as has been suggested.
> Either way, I wonder if the best answer isn't to separate out the
> responsibility of frontside and backside apps and write two sets of
> JavaScript to deal with both.
> Paul Davis

I never thought about that before, but it completely makes sense for
me as well. After all, like Paul says, _list, _show and _update
functions can be seen as a layer in front of CouchDB's HTTP API. In
particular, _list and _show are just decorators.

However I'm not imagining how to pass them the User Context object if
they're moved into a frontend, but certainly we can find a solution.

I completely support the idea.

Filipe David Manana,