couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From "Chris Anderson" <>
Subject Re: git vs. svn (Was: command line test runner)
Date Thu, 02 Oct 2008 07:35:23 GMT
On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 12:07 AM, Jukka Zitting <> wrote:
> Hi,
> Background: I'm gathering data on cases where people prefer to use git
> over svn for Apache development.
> On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 8:59 AM, Chris Anderson <> wrote:
>> Here is the git-branch I'm developing in for now:
> You're an Apache committer, so you could also have used an svn branch
> for this. Are there particular reasons why you prefer to use git?

Thanks for the question! I like to use git for more experimental work,
especially where I'll be doing a lot of small commits. Committing to
svn spews into the bug tracker and mailing list. Also, when I'm
experimenting, its easier not to worry about the Apache formalities
like license in every file (especially when those files may never end
up in the project).

A new reason is that I've found that git (and github) make it much
more likely that I'll receive patches from interested users, rather
than just feature requests.

So generally I like to work in git where I have fine-grained control,
and then compose a patch to apply to the svn repository once I know it
is work I'll stand behind.

That said, I'm a new committer, so this is the workflow I developed
before I received my pre-commit-bit. However, I'm happy with this
workflow, and I think it's certainly better than the alternative,
which would likely be just keeping the work on my local machine until
I think it's ready for prime time.

Chris Anderson

View raw message