couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: How to contribute - especially authentication
Date Mon, 16 Jun 2008 15:53:20 GMT
Hello David

On Jun 16, 2008, at 17:36, David Pitman wrote:

> G'day,
>
> I've been playing with CouchDB for a couple of weeks and will be
> using it
> for a couple of projects - but I need to have the security /
> authentication
> features available before I can go too much further with using it in
> the
> real world.

And a proxy/filter/middleware in front of CouchDB doesn't solve your
needs?

> I'm very keen to help with making this happen if I can, before I
> have a go -
>
>    - is this feature currently being worked on?  If so, is further
> help
> required?

Nobody is currently working on this. We are still pretty much in the
design-
phase and not really there either since we are working on more pressing
things at the moment. Other folks have voiced interest in heling out,
but
haven't followed up yet.

>    - any tips for where and how to start? (I've read everything I
> can find
> via Google)

There's the general technical overview here:
http://incubator.apache.org/couchdb/docs/overview.html and
http://www.automatthew.com/2008/01/planned-security-model-for-couchdb.html
  includes a nice summary, but that is rather a suggestion
than a fixed and agreed-upon guideline. Any input is always appreciated.

>    - I am totally new to Erlang - am I likely to be able to contribute
> anything useful to the project given that I'll have to learn the
> language as
> I go?

Yeah. Get Joe Armstrong's 'Programming Erlang' book and you are
good to go.

> Thanks for all the good work on CouchDB so far - pretty nifty to say
> the
> least...  If I've posted this to the wrong place - please let me
> know where
> it should have gone!

We're glad you like it and appreciate your desire to help.
Cheers
Jan