community-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Riggs <jim...@riggs.me>
Subject Re: Request for Participation in University of Cincinnati - Open Source Survey
Date Tue, 16 Oct 2018 21:48:01 GMT
While my first instinctive response -- like some of yours -- was also one of annoyance or frustration,
it is important to remember that this is a research study that is focused not on the Apache
community as a whole or open source software communities in general. Instead, it is a targeted
study WRT business/organization engagement in open source software development. Their description
in the original message forwarded to the list below says, "We want to understand how a *firm's*
participation in open source software (OSS) development affects you and your job" (emphasis
added).

They never claimed that the results of this study would directly benefit the ASF other than
a potential financial donation. Participation will help them to do their research, and the
financial donation will help the ASF, but there probably won't be any deep insights into how
our community operates beyond the narrow scope of their study.

> On Oct 16, 2018, at 13:24, Sharan Foga <sharan@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Hi Everyone
>
> Please see below for a message from some researchers from the University of Cincinnati
who are running a survey on participation in Open Source. The survey is open to all Apache
contributors and committers and the researchers have said they make a donation to the ASF
for completed responses up to a maximum of $1000.

> Please feel free to circulate this message within your projects.
>
> Thanks
> Sharan

> October 16, 2018
>
> Dear Apache Software Foundation Contributors and Committers,
>
> We are researchers at the University of Cincinnati. We want to understand how a firm's
participation in open source software (OSS) development affects you and your job. Since you
are significant contributors to the OSS community, we invite you to participate in our study
by completing an online survey.

> The survey will take approximately 15 minutes to complete. In appreciation of your time,
$5 will be donated to Apache for each completed survey response up to a total of $1,000. In
addition, each survey participant will be entered into a prize drawing. Two people will be
randomly selected—each person will receive a $250 Visa gift card.

> Your individual responses will be kept confidential and anonymous. Your participation
is voluntary. You may start and then change your mind and exit the survey at any time. You
can complete the survey any time before November 10th.  We will send one reminder on October
21st and one on November 8th.

> Your inputs are extremely valuable to improving our understanding of how OSS development
impacts developers’ career experiences.

> Please click the following link to start the survey.
> http://cincinnati.ca1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3h3D0bMEHrQ47xr
>
> Thank you again for your time!
>
> Sincerely,
> Dr. Sherae Daniel, Dr. Jaime Windeler, and Dr. Liwei Chen
> University of Cincinnati
> Carl H. Lindner College of Business
> Department of Operations, Business Analytics & Info Systems (OBAIS)
> Room 618 Carl H. Lindner Hall
> 2925 Campus Green Dr.
> Cincinnati, OH 45221
> Sherae Daniel, Ph.D.
> sherae.daniel@uc.edu
> New OSS Research
> London School of Economics Blog Post
> http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/businessreview/2018/09/26/can-your-organisation-benefit-from-embracing-the-open-source-way/
> Maruping, L., Daniel, S.L., Cataldo, M., Herbsleb, J. (2018) “Developer Centrality
and the Impact of Value Congruence and Incongruence on Commitment and Code Contribution Activity
in Open Source Software Communities” Management Information Systems Quarterly (Accepted).
> Daniel, S.L., Maruping, L., Cataldo, M. (2018) “The Impact of Ideology Fit on Companies
and OSS Communities” Management Information Systems Quarterly (Accepted).
> Daniel, S.L., Midha, V., Bhattacherhjee, Singh, S. (2018) "Sourcing Knowledge in open
source software projects: The impacts of internal and external social capital on project success"
The Journal of Strategic Information Systems (In Press).