community-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher <ctubb...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Running another ASF Committer Diversity Survey
Date Tue, 02 Oct 2018 17:52:44 GMT
Would it be possible to widen the survey's scope to a broader
"Community Survey", while still retaining the diversity questions as
one component, but also including other non-diversity questions
pertaining to the ASF community at large?

This suggestion comes from some conversations in Montreal, where some
of us discussed the desire to have some additional feedback from our
community. For example, one question I remember being discussed in
particular was something like "If the ASF had more money, what should
it do with it?" (possible answers: marketing materials provided to
PMCs, hire more INFRA, provide EC2 credits to PMCs or INFRA for CI,
publish educational/outreach materials for distribution, other). I'm
sure we could come up with additional questions for the non-diversity
component to the survey as well.

Does broadening the scope of this survey to include diversity and
non-diversity components make sense?
On Mon, Oct 1, 2018 at 5:30 AM Sharan Foga <sharan@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi All
>
> It’s been nearly 2 years since we ran our ASF Committer Diversity Survey so I think
it's about time that we looked at running it again to see if things are changing. For those
of you who haven't seen the details or the results from our 2016 ASF Committer Diversity Survey
then you can find them at the link below:

> https://s.apache.org/lV9h
>
> Our original 2016 survey was run to:
>
>   -  help us get a picture of our existing diversity as all our committers are linked
to all ASF projects, and also;
>  -   to create a baseline measure so we can see if we see if we are improving or not
in our diversity efforts.

> So I think that it would also be good to discuss and review the survey questions to see
if we can improve them or the phrasing to better capture the data. Also if anyone is interested
in helping out then please let me know.