commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release pool 1.4
Date Wed, 16 Jan 2008 01:51:58 GMT
On 15/01/2008, Simon Kitching <simon.kitching@chello.at> wrote:
> ---- Niall Pemberton <niall.pemberton@gmail.com> schrieb:
> > On Jan 14, 2008 9:13 PM, Oliver Heger <oliver.heger@oliver-heger.de> wrote:
> > > The artifacts look good, the build also succeeded in all variants (on a
> > > JDK 1.6). So I am +1 for this release.
> > >
> > > Two minor points:
> > > - On my first attempt to build with maven 2 I got the test failure
> > > below. However this was not reproducable, further builds succeeded. Has
> > > anybody else seen this?
> > >
> > > - In the manifest of the jar (in the binary distribution) the headers
> > > for Import- and Export-Package look a bit strange. There seems to be a
> > > hard line break in the package name. I am no OSGi expert. Is this okay?
> >
> > I believe this is OK for manifest entries in general and for OSGi the
> > bundle plugin that the felix guys(OSGi expter) have developed does the
> > same thing so I think so. Also I pinged Carsten Ziegeler (felix
> > project) about this release being OSGi enabled and he took a look at
> > the entries and said they looked good.
>
> Just regarding linefeeds in MANIFEST files: for some strange reason the java spec requires
that any line be wrapped at 72 bytes, and that the rest continues on the next line preceded
by a space. No idea why it was specified that way, but it is. So what you see here is probably
correct.

> See here:
>  http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides/jar/jar.html
> and search for "Line length" (there is more than one match).

Not sure that requires the line to be wrapped *at* 72 bytes -  a line
cannot be longer than 72 bytes, but it looks like a shorter line can
be continued if required.
For example to make the lines easier to read.