clerezza-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Spicar <daniel.spi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CRIS update
Date Wed, 24 Apr 2013 12:01:46 GMT
I have investigated some of the changes in Lucene and here is what I found:

- optimize has been deprecated but there is a new method called forceMerge
which basically does the same.
- MergePolicy is a new(ish) API that performs automatic merges under
specified circumstances.

Back to CRIS, I don't think the actual issue is gone. It looks like Lucene
has been optimized a lot so it is possible that the open file descriptors
problem is somehow mitigated compared to older releases. But principally it
still exists. I am pretty much out of the loop when it comes to Lucene so I
did not initially find a way to reproduce the circumstances that lead to an
explosion of open file descriptors that plagued us before. But more
investigation is necessary. For now I suggest:

- keep the optimize logic but use forceMerge method instead

Subsequently I will look into CRIS and check if optimize can be replaced by
a merge policy or some other method.