cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Tore Halset <hal...@pvv.ntnu.no>
Subject Re: Cocoa Cayenne status
Date Thu, 05 Oct 2006 21:05:26 GMT
On Sep 25, 2006, at 22:41, Tore Halset wrote:

> On Sep 25, 2006, at 22:02, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
>
>> This looks pretty cool. Do you think it will be worthwhile to
>> start advertising this effort on Cocoa/WebObjects lists? This way
>> we may find volunteers from the Objective C world with CoreData
>> experience, and at least place it on the community radar.
>
> It is still very early, but sometimes early is good :)
>
> I am not very comfortable with the fact that hessianobjc does not
> work out of the box yet. It still does not handle object refs. I
> have a working patch, but there are some memory issues that should
> be solved first. Perhaps we should wait till after this has been
> fixed as it will make it a bit easier to get started?

Bryan has committed all of the pending patches to HessianObjC and
things are looking good. I have fixed some bugs in CocoaCayenne as
well. I think this is a good time to open up to the WO lists and
perhaps to Cocoa as well. Agree?

Most of the basic stuff are working. Cocoa bindings are working.
Relationship handling with automatic setting of reverse relationships
the cayenne way are working. Objects and ObjectIds are unique for
each context. Deleting, Named Queries, Committing and Faulting are
working. CocoaCayenne also has a custom NSArrayController that makes
life a lot easier.

There are lots of stuff to improve. Here are some of them:
  * More datatypes. Like numbers. Should be easy. NSDatePicker are
working.
  * Authentication. Currently username and password are stored in the
hessian service url.
  * XMPP to distribute/share events.
  * Core Data. Some code to create a NSManagedObjectModel from a
DataMap, but nothing more. Perhaps not that important as CocoaCayenne
already works with bindings and controllers.

In addition to this, we need some introduction that tell about
cayenne, cayenne ROP and how CocoaCayenne (or what we want to call
it) fit in to all of it.

> BTW: Here are todays status-screenshot of the tutorial client :)
> http://www.pvv.ntnu.no/~halset/tmp/cocoa-client-20060925.png

It is still the latest screenshot.

  - Tore.