cassandra-user mailing list archives

From "Durity, Sean R" <SEAN_R_DUR...@homedepot.com>
Subject RE: Connection reset by peer
Date Wed, 12 Feb 2020 12:47:52 GMT
This looks like an error between your client and the cluster. Is the other ip address your
client app? I have typically seen this when there are network issues between the client and
the cluster. Cassandra driver connections are typically very long-lived. If something like
a switch or firewall times out the connection you can get errors like this. Tcp_keepalive
settings on the cluster nodes can help. See here: https://docs.datastax.com/en/dse/6.7/dse-admin/datastax_enterprise/config/configRecommendedSettings.html

Sean Durity

From: Hanauer, Arnulf, Vodacom South Africa (External) <Arnulf.Hanauer@vcontractor.co.za>
Sent: Wednesday, February 12, 2020 7:06 AM
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Connection reset by peer

Hi Cassandra folks,

We are getting a lot of these errors and transactions are timing out and I was wondering if
this can be caused by Cassandra itself or if this is a Linux network issue only. The client
job reports Cassandra node down after this occurs but I suspect this is due to the connection
failure - need some clarification as where to go look for a solution.

INFO  [epollEventLoopGroup-2-10] 2020-02-12 11:53:42,748 Message.java:623 - Unexpected exception
during request; channel = [id: 0x8a3e6831, L:/10.132.65.152:9042 - R:/10.132.11.15:48020]
io.netty.channel.unix.Errors$NativeIoException: syscall:read(...)() failed: Connection reset
by peer
        at io.netty.channel.unix.FileDescriptor.readAddress(...)(Unknown Source) ~[netty-all-4.0.44.Final.jar:4.0.44.Final]

INFO  [epollEventLoopGroup-2-15] 2020-02-12 11:42:46,871 Message.java:623 - Unexpected exception
during request; channel = [id: 0xa071f1c8, L:/10.132.65.152:9042 - R:/10.132.11.15:45134]
io.netty.channel.unix.Errors$NativeIoException: syscall:read(...)() failed: Connection reset
by peer
        at io.netty.channel.unix.FileDescriptor.readAddress(...)(Unknown Source) ~[netty-all-4.0.44.Final.jar:4.0.44.Final]

Source and Destination IP addresses are in the same DC (LAN).

I did recycle all the Cassandra services on all the nodes in both clusters but the problem
remains.

The only change made recently was the adding of replicas in the second DC for the keyspace
that is being written to when these messages occur (not had a chance to run a full repair
yet to sync the replicas)

FYI:
Cassandra 3.11.2
5 Node cluster each in 2 DC's

Kind regards
Arnulf Hanauer

"This e-mail is sent on the Terms and Conditions that can be accessed by Clicking on this
link https://webmail.vodacom.co.za/tc/default.html [vodacom.co.za]<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.vodacom.co.za/vodacom/terms/email-acceptable-user-policy__;!!M-nmYVHPHQ!fVcY8oIO1oRdq3f79QXI1g-XssPB9tvLvjLf8l3p0o1WaBHZg1nIuy3IcCACPCM8zXt4Kng$>
"