Hi !

I'm not an expert but don't forget that cassandra needs space to do it's compactions.

Take a look at the worst case scenarios from this datastax grid : https://docs.datastax.com/en/dse-planning/doc/planning/capacityPlanning.html#capacityPlanning__disk

The size of a picture + data is about 0.5MB

Is that the size of the uncompressed data or the data once it has been inserted and compressed by cassandra ?
Looking at the cassandra compression : http://cassandra.apache.org/doc/latest/operating/compression.html and testing different parameters on a test cluster might be interesting before you do the sizing of the final production cluster,

Regards,

Leo