cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Matthias Pfau <matthias.p...@tutao.de.INVALID>
Subject Re: Multiple compactions to same disk with 3.11.4
Date Wed, 02 Oct 2019 06:43:20 GMT
You are right, you could set concurrent_compactors to 1 to just allow a single compaction
at a time. However, that isn't feasible in our scenario with multiple data dirs as compactions
would accumulate.

We wan't to run multiple compactions in parallel but only one per data dir...

Best,
Matthias

Oct 1, 2019, 23:16 by elliott@backblaze.com:

> There's a concurrent_compactors parameter in cassandra.yml that does exactly what the
name says.  You may also find compaction_throughput_mb_per_sec useful.

> On Tue, Oct 1, 2019 at 8:16 AM Matthias Pfau <matthias.pfau@tutao.de.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>>  we recently upgraded from 2.2 to 3.11.4.
>>
>>  Unfortunately, we are running into problems with the compaction scheduling, now.
From time to time, a bunch of compactions (e.g. 6) are scheduled for the same data dir. This
makes no sense for spinning disks as it will slow down all compactions and other operations
like flushes dramatically.

>>  Has someone else experienced this problem? If so, how did you workaround this? Do
you know of an open issue regarding this?