cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Reid Pinchback <rpinchb...@tripadvisor.com>
Subject Re: merge two cluster
Date Wed, 23 Oct 2019 16:30:41 GMT
I haven’t seen much evidence that larger cluster = more performance, plus or minus the statistics
of speculative retry.  It horizontally scales for storage definitely, and somewhat for connection
volume.  If anything, per Sean’s observation, you have less ability to have a stable tuning
for a particular usage pattern.

Try to have a mental picture of what you think is happening in the JVM while Cassandra is
running.  There are short-lived objects, medium-lived objects, long/static-lived objects,
and behind the scenes some degree of read I/O and write I/O against disk.  Garbage collectors
struggle badly with medium-lived objects, but Cassandra really depends a great deal on those.
 If you merge two clusters together, within any one node you still have the JVM size and disk
architecture you had before, but you are adding competition on fixed resources and potentially
in the very way they find most difficult to handle.

If those resources were heavily underutilized, like Sean’s point about merging small apps
together, then sure.  But if those two clusters of yours are already showing that they experience
significant load, then you are unlikely to improve anything, far more likely to end up worse
off.  GC overhead and compaction flushes to disk are your challenges; merging two clusters
doesn’t change the physics of those two areas, but could increase the demand on them.

The only caveat to all of the above I can think of is if there was a fault-tolerance story
motivating the merging.  Like “management wants us in two AZs in AWS, but lacks the budget
for more instances, and each pool by itself is too small for us to come up with a 2 rack organization
that makes sense”.