cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Sergio <lapostadiser...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Cassandra Rack - Datacenter Load Balancing relations
Date Wed, 23 Oct 2019 19:33:39 GMT
Hi Reid,

Thank you very much for clearing these concepts for me.
https://community.datastax.com/comments/1133/view.html I posted this
question on the datastax forum regarding our cluster that it is unbalanced
and the reply was related that the *number of racks should be a multiplier
of the replication factor *in order to be balanced or 1. I thought then if
I have 3 availability zones I should have 3 racks for each datacenter and
not 2 (us-east-1b, us-east-1a) as I have right now or in the easiest way, I
should have a rack for each datacenter.

   1. Datacenter: live
   ================
   Status=Up/Down
   |/ State=Normal/Leaving/Joining/Moving
   --  Address      Load       Tokens       Owns    Host ID
                 Rack
   UN  10.1.20.49   289.75 GiB  256          ?
   be5a0193-56e7-4d42-8cc8-5d2141ab4872  us-east-1a
   UN  10.1.30.112  103.03 GiB  256          ?
   e5108a8e-cc2f-4914-a86e-fccf770e3f0f  us-east-1b
   UN  10.1.19.163  129.61 GiB  256          ?
   3c2efdda-8dd4-4f08-b991-9aff062a5388  us-east-1a
   UN  10.1.26.181  145.28 GiB  256          ?
   0a8f07ba-a129-42b0-b73a-df649bd076ef  us-east-1b
   UN  10.1.17.213  149.04 GiB  256          ?
   71563e86-b2ae-4d2c-91c5-49aa08386f67  us-east-1a
   DN  10.1.19.198  52.41 GiB  256          ?
   613b43c0-0688-4b86-994c-dc772b6fb8d2  us-east-1b
   UN  10.1.31.60   195.17 GiB  256          ?
   3647fcca-688a-4851-ab15-df36819910f4  us-east-1b
   UN  10.1.25.206  100.67 GiB  256          ?
   f43532ad-7d2e-4480-a9ce-2529b47f823d  us-east-1b
   So each rack label right now matches the availability zone and we have 3
   Datacenters and 2 Availability Zone with 2 racks per DC but the above is
   clearly unbalanced
   If I have a keyspace with a replication factor = 3 and I want to
   minimize the number of nodes to scale up and down the cluster and keep it
   balanced should I consider an approach like OPTION A)
   2. Node DC RACK AZ 1 read ONE us-east-1a 2 read ONE us-east-1a
   3. 3 read ONE us-east-1a
   4. 4 write ONE us-east-1b 5 write ONE us-east-1b
   5. 6 write ONE us-east-1b
   6. OPTION B)
   7. Node DC RACK AZ 1 read ONE us-east-1a 2 read ONE us-east-1a
   8. 3 read ONE us-east-1a
   9. 4 write TWO us-east-1b 5 write TWO us-east-1b
   10. 6 write TWO us-east-1b
   11. *7 read ONE us-east-1c 8 write TWO us-east-1c*
   12. *9 read ONE us-east-1c* Option B looks to be unbalanced and I would
   exclude it OPTION C)
   13. Node DC RACK AZ 1 read ONE us-east-1a 2 read ONE us-east-1b
   14. 3 read ONE us-east-1c
   15. 4 write TWO us-east-1a 5 write TWO us-east-1b
   16. 6 write TWO us-east-1c
   17.

   so I am thinking of A if I have the restriction of 2 AZ but I guess that
   option C would be the best. If I have to add another DC for reads because
   we want to assign a new DC for each new microservice it would look like:
      OPTION EXTRA DC For Reads
      1. Node DC RACK AZ 1 read ONE us-east-1a 2 read ONE us-east-1b
      2. 3 read ONE us-east-1c
      3. 4 write TWO us-east-1a 5 write TWO us-east-1b
      4. 6 write TWO us-east-1c 7 extra-read THREE us-east-1a
      5. 8 extra-read THREE us-east-1b
      6.
         7.

   1. 9 extra-read THREE us-east-1c
      2.
   The DC for *write* will replicate the data in the other datacenters. My
   scope is to keep the *read* machines dedicated to serve reads and *write*
   machines to serve writes. Cassandra will handle the replication for me. Is
   there any other option that is I missing or wrong assumption? I am thinking
   that I will write a blog post about all my learnings so far, thank you very
   much for the replies Best, Sergio