cassandra-user mailing list archives

From "ZAIDI, ASAD" <az1...@att.com>
Subject RE: Constant blocking read repair for such a tiny table
Date Wed, 16 Oct 2019 17:56:12 GMT
Wondering if you’ve  disabled  otc_coalescing_strategy  CASSANDRA-12676<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-12676>
since you’ve upgraded from 2.x?  also if you found luck by  increasing native_transport_max_threads
 to address blocked NTRs (CASSANDRA-11363)?
~Asad

From: Patrick Lee [mailto:patrickclee0207@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 16, 2019 12:22 PM
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: Re: Constant blocking read repair for such a tiny table

haven't really figured this out yet.  it's not a big problem but it is annoying for sure!
the cluster was upgraded from 2.1.16 to 3.11.4.  now my only thing is i'm not sure if had
this type of behavior before the upgrade.  i'm leaning toward a no based on my data but i'm
just not 100% sure.

just 1 table, out of all the ones on the cluster has this behavior. repair has been run few
times via reaper.  even did a nodetool compact on the nodes (since this table is like 1GB
per node..) . just don't see why there would be any inconsistency that would trigger read
repair.

any insight you may have would be appreciated!  the real thing that started this digging into
the cluster was during some stress test application team complained about high latency (30ms
at p98).  this cluster is oversized already for this use case with only 14GB of data per node,
there is more than enough ram so all the data is basically cached in ram.  the only thing
that stands out is this crazy read repair.  so this read repair may not be my root issue but
definitely shouldn't be happening like this.

the vm's..
12 cores
82GB ram
1.2TB local ephemeral ssd's