cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Cyril Scetbon <cyril.scet...@free.fr>
Subject Re: Rebuilding a node without clients hitting it
Date Tue, 06 Aug 2019 10:16:36 GMT
We have clients in all our DCs.

Rebuild has always been much faster for us than repairs. It operates as bootstrap by streaming
data from only one source replica for each token range (need to do a cleanup if run multiple
times). Repair is a different operation and is not supposed to be run on an empty node. It
does more processing, merkle trees comparison, delete tombstones etc…

We use repairs when we add a DC as a new replication source to a Keyspace.
—
Cyril Scetbon

> Assuming the rebuild is happening on a node in another DC, then there should not be an
issue if you are using LOCAL_ONE. If the node is in the local DC (i.e., same DC as the client),
I am inclined to think repair would be more appropriate than rebuild but I am not 100% certain.