cassandra-user mailing list archives

From <Rhys.Campb...@swisscom.com>
Subject RE: Backups in Cassandra
Date Thu, 08 Aug 2019 06:49:50 GMT
Just to add to this…

We do snapshot, incremental and commitlog backups along with schema and config backups. All
is copied to S3 although we do keep a small number of snapshots / inc / commitlog on the local
node in the rare event they are needed.

We have written some Ansible to restore the whole cluster. If your cluster is beyond a trivial
number of nodes then some type of manageable automation is required.

Cheers,

From: cclive1601你 <cclive1601@gmail.com>
Sent: 08 August 2019 04:30
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: Re: Backups in Cassandra

We have also made backup and restore for Apache Cassandra,backup process are
1.do incremental backup for flushed sstable ;do incremental backup for commitlog ;
2.do snapshot for the cluster periodically,also meta info are needed to backup(token and table
info);
3.for exception like node joining and move(if exist),leave , refresh the meta info backup;

restore
1.use incremental sstable to reduce the number of commitlog for restore ,for log replay cost
much time ;
2.all sstable can do bulkload(just node refresh (so ,my restore node's number need to be
the same as backup,for sstableloader, it cost much time than this method,though use loader
does not need the
node to be same as backup))

Connor Lin <linbaiye@gmail.com<mailto:linbaiye@gmail.com>> 于2019年8月8日周四
上午10:17写道:
Hi Krish,

It is recommended to have backups. Although I haven't practiced it myself, but I find this
might be helpful.
https://thelastpickle.com/blog/2018/04/03/cassandra-backup-and-restore-aws-ebs.html

Sincerely yours,

Connor Lin