cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Jon Haddad <...@jonhaddad.com>
Subject Re: 2.1.9 --> 2.2.13 upgrade node startup after upgrade very slow
Date Wed, 17 Apr 2019 18:41:42 GMT
Let me be more specific - run the async java profiler and generate a
flame graph to determine where CPU time is spent.

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 11:36 AM Jon Haddad <jon@jonhaddad.com> wrote:

> Run the async java profiler on the node to determine what it's doing:
> https://github.com/jvm-profiling-tools/async-profiler
>
> On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 11:31 AM Carl Mueller
> <carl.mueller@smartthings.com.invalid> wrote:
> >
> > No, we just did the package upgrade 2.1.9 --> 2.2.13
> >
> > It definitely feels like some indexes are being recalculated or the entire sstables
are being scanned due to suspected corruption.

> > On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 12:32 PM Jeff Jirsa <jjirsa@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> There was a time when changing some of the parameters (especially bloom filter
FP ratio) would cause the bloom filters to be rebuilt on startup if the sstables didnt match
what was in the schema, leading to a delay like that and similar logs. Any chance you changed
the schema on that table since the last time you restarted it?

was JBOD across two data directories.

20-30 clusters so far and have not encountered anything like this yet.

long. ALmost all of our other nodes took less than 2 minutes to upgrade (aside from sstableupgrades).

about 300GB, but we have upgraded other clusters with about that much data without this 8-10
minute delay. We have the ability to roll back the node, and the restart as a 2.1.x node is
normal with no delays.

data on a lower environment and try to replicate the delay. If we can, we will turn on debug
logging.

it is limited to only this node, but we are gunshy to play around with upgrades in prod.

down gossip, drains before upgrade, suppressed autostart on upgrade, and has worked about
as flawlessly as one could hope for so far for 2.1->2.2 and 2.2-> 3.11 upgrades.