cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Josh Smith <jsm...@ionicsecurity.com>
Subject Schema Changes
Date Tue, 15 Nov 2016 18:04:25 GMT
Would someone please explain how schema changes happen?
Here are some of the ring details
We have 5 nodes in 1 DC and 5 nodes in another DC across the country.
Here is our problem, we have a tool which automates our schema creation. Our schema consists
of 7 keyspaces with 21 tables in each keyspace, so a total of 147 tables are created at the
initial provisioning.  During this schema creation we end up with system_schema keyspace corruption,
we have found that it is due to schema version disagreement. To combat this we setup a wait
until there is only one version in both system.local and system.peers tables.
The way I understand it schema changes are made on the local node only; changes are then propagated
through either Thrift or Gossip, I could not find a definitive answer online if thrift or
gossip was the carrier. So if I make all of the schema changes to one node it should propagate
the changes to the other nodes one at a time. This is how I used to think that schema changes
are propagated but we still get schema disagreement when changing the schema only on one node.
Is the only option to introduce a wait after every table creation?  Should we be looking at
another table besides system.local and peers? Any help would be appreciated.

Josh Smith