cassandra-user mailing list archives

From james anderson <james.ander...@setf.de>
Subject Re: Cassandra and GPU's...
Date Tue, 01 Dec 2015 20:35:01 GMT
good evening;

> On 2015-12-01, at 21:17, Steve Robenalt <srobenalt@highwire.org> wrote:
>
> Hi Tony,
>
> Somebody will likely prove me wrong on this (and I'd love to see it), but I'm skeptical
that there is much intersection between the set of things a GPU is good at and the set of
things a database needs to do.

of course the context varies, but there are some demonstrated advantages:

    https://www.blazegraph.com/product/gpu-accelerated/ <https://www.blazegraph.com/product/gpu-accelerated/>

> As such, I don't expect there'd be much performance gain unless a way to exploit the
massive parallelism of the GPU effectively can be found.

> Of course, GPU-driven analytics on the contents of the database opens up all kinds of
possibilities given the right kind of data...

> Steve
>
> On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 10:16 AM, Tony Anecito <adanecito@yahoo.com <mailto:adanecito@yahoo.com>>
wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Can Cassandra use GPU's? If not can someone recommend a open source database that runs
on GPU's? I am interested in seeing the performance difference of a database that is under
2GB run on a GPU card such as as NVIDA gtx 980.