cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Robert Wille <rwi...@fold3.com>
Subject Re: lots of tombstone after compaction
Date Mon, 07 Dec 2015 23:55:55 GMT
The nulls in the original data created the tombstones. They won’t go away until gc_grace_seconds
have passed (default is 10 days).

On Dec 7, 2015, at 4:46 PM, Kai Wang <depend@gmail.com> wrote:

> I bulkloaded a few tables using CQLSStableWrite/sstableloader. The data are large amount
of wide rows with lots of null's. It takes one day or two for the compaction to complete.
sstable count is at single digit. Maximum partition size is ~50M and mean size is ~5M. However
I am seeing frequent read query timeouts caused by tombstone_failure_threshold (100000). These
tables are basically read-only. There're no writes.

> I just kicked off compaction on those tables using nodetool. Hopefully it can remove
those tombstones. But is it normal to have these many tombstones after the initial compactions?
Is this related to the fact the original data has lots of nulls?