cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Anuj Wadehra <anujw_2...@yahoo.co.in>
Subject Re: Handle Node Failure with Repair -pr
Date Mon, 07 Dec 2015 17:42:36 GMT
Hi All !!!

Any comments on the repair -pr scenarios..please share how you deal with such scenarios..

Thanks

Anuj

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

From:"Anuj Wadehra" <anujw_2003@yahoo.co.in>
Date:Sat, 5 Dec, 2015 at 12:57 am
Subject:Handle Node Failure with Repair -pr

Hi Guys !!

I need comments on my understanding of repair -pr ..If you are using repair -pr in your cluster
then following statements hold true:

1. If a node goes down for long time and your not sure when will it return, you must ensure
that subrange repair for the defected node range is done within gc_grace_period from some
other node?

 I think the mandatory requirement for repair must be restated to make it explicit. While
saying that each node must run repair -pr within gc grace, we must clearly mention that each
node' s range must be repaired and care must be taken to run subrange repair from separate
node in case a node is down and gc grace is approaching.Otherwise no repair -pr job on nodes
will repair that subrange even though all live nodes were meeting the norm of running repair
-pr within gc grace.

2. If you forgot to run repair -pr within gc grace seconds on one of the nodes, deleting data
folder and autobootstrapping will not help as subrange for node was never repaired and any
node with missed delete will popup the data back.You can only minimize deletes from popping
up but cant prevent them completely.