cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Janne Jalkanen <janne.jalka...@ecyrd.com>
Subject Re: [RELEASE] Apache Cassandra 3.1 released
Date Wed, 09 Dec 2015 08:05:25 GMT

I’m sorry, I don’t understand the new release scheme at all. Both of these are bug fixes
on 3.0? What’s the actual difference?

If I just want to run the most stable 3.0, should I run 3.0.1 or 3.1?  Will 3.0 gain new features
which will not go into 3.1, because that’s a bug fix release on 3.0? So 3.0.x will contain
more features than 3.1, as even-numbered releases will be getting new features? Or is 3.0.1
and 3.1 essentially the same thing? Then what’s the role of 3.1? Will there be more than
one 3.1? 3.1.1? Or is it 3.3? What’s the content of that? 3.something + patches = 3.what?

What does this statement in the referred blog post mean? "Under normal conditions, we will
NOT release 3.x.y stability releases for x > 0.” Why are the normal conditions being
violated already by releasing 3.1 (since 1 > 0)?

/Janne, who is completely confused by all this, and suspects he’s the target of some hideous
joke.