cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Kévin LOVATO <klov...@alprema.com>
Subject Out of memory on wide row read
Date Tue, 12 May 2015 15:43:14 GMT
Hi,

We experienced a crash on our production cluster following a massive wide
row read.

A client tried to read a wide row (~4GB of raw data) without specifying any
slice condition, which resulted in the crash of multiple nodes (as many as
the replication factor) after long garbage collections.
We know that wide rows should not be that big, but it is not the topic here.

My question is the following: Is it possible to prevent Cassandra from
OOM'ing when a client does this kind of requests? I'd rather have an error
thrown to the client than a multi-server crash.

Our config: Cassandra 2.0.10, requested using Thrift.

Kévin