Jimmy,

The secondary index is getting scanned since you put the column in your query. The behavior you are looking for is a coming feature called Global Indexes slated for 3.0. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-6477

In the meantime, you could build your own lookup table even with this low of cardinality. If the point is to find everyone of a certain gender in a company, give this a try.

create table company_gender (
   company_id uuid,
   gender text,
   person_id uuid,
   PRIMARY KEY (company_id, gender)
)

Each company would be a partition and you could find all males or females with a single query. The bonus is that you would get paging which will be much more efficient.

Patrick