cassandra-user mailing list archives

From "Jack Krupansky" <j...@basetechnology.com>
Subject Re: keyspace with hundreds of columnfamilies
Date Sat, 12 Jul 2014 12:20:40 GMT
1. What does your data look like – 100 small integers or short strings and dates, or... 100
massive blobs?

2. What operations are you doing on those rows – reading and updating individual columns,
or mostly full-row upserts?

3. 100 columns in a CQL row is not so unreasonable, per se.

4. The ultimate answer to any “how will it perform” question is to do a “proof of concept”
implementation since it really all depends on your actual data and hardware setup, such as
memory, cpu, I/O, and networking – IOW, all the non-Cassandra factors can easily dwarf Cassandra
itself.

5. As far as 1K tables with 10 columns vs. 100 tables with 100 columns – it should primarily
be your queries (and updates) that drive the decision. Do fewer tables and more columns make
your queries (and updates) a lot simpler and cleaner?

-- Jack Krupansky

From: tommaso barbugli
Sent: Saturday, July 12, 2014 7:58 AM
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: Re: keyspace with hundreds of columnfamilies

hi,
how is a table with hundreds columns is going to perform?

i am moving from 1k column families each with 10 columns to 100 CFs each with 100 columns.

thank you
tommaso

On Friday, 11 July 2014, Sourabh Agrawal <iitr.sourabh@gmail.com> wrote:

  Yes, what about CQL style columns? Please clarify

  On Sat, Jul 5, 2014 at 12:32 PM, tommaso barbugli <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','tbarbugli@gmail.com');>