cassandra-user mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Casey Deccio <>
Subject can't find rows
Date Wed, 29 Feb 2012 13:25:52 GMT
I recently had to do some shuffling with one of my cassandra nodes because
it was running out of disk space.  I did a few things in the process, and
I'm not sure in the end which caused my problem.  First I added a second
file path to the data directory in cassandra.yaml.  Things still worked
fine after this, as far as I could tell.  Shortly after this, however, I
took down the node and rsync'd the data from both data directories, as well
as commitlogs, to an external drive.  I then shut down the machine,
replaced the hard drives with bigger drives, and re-installed the OS.  I
re-created the data directories, rsync'd the data and commitlogs back over
from the external drive, and started up cassandra, re-adding it to the
ring.  When it came up, all of my rows were missing for one columnfamily
and nearly all my rows were missing for another--or at least that's what it
looks like, based on walking the rows.  I tried scrubbing each of the
nodes.  One of them had insufficient disk space (yes, this seems to be a
recurring problem) for scrub, so I did upgradesstables instead, and that
one is still in progress.  So far the scrub/upgradesstables hasn't seemed
to help.  But in the log messages created during scrub/upgradesstables it
shows realistic numbers (i.e., in terms of the rows that existed before
this ordeal) created in each new sstable.  Also, the loads shown when I run
nodetool ring still reflects the numbers with the complete set of rows.
That's encouraging, but I can't seem to access these phantom rows.  Please


View raw message