attic-general mailing list archives

From "Henk P. Penning" <penn...@uu.nl>
Subject Re: Rethinking TLP creation/migration
Date Mon, 23 May 2016 07:30:24 GMT
On Mon, 23 May 2016, Sam Ruby wrote:

> Date: Mon, 23 May 2016 03:00:51 +0200
> From: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
> To: general@attic.apache.org
> Cc: dev@whimsical.apache.org
> Subject: Re: Rethinking TLP creation/migration
> Sender: sa3ruby@gmail.com
>
> As I am working my way through this code, it occurs to me that much of
> what I am finding could apply to termination of projects.  For
> example, if the secretary adds the PMC to LDAP for 'Establish'
> resolutions at the end of the board meeting it might make equal sense
> for the secretary to remove the PMC (and committers) for 'Terminate'
> resolutions.
>
> Thoughts?

   My thoughts ; looking at the ASF bylaws ...

   -- the ASF has many PMCs
   -- each PMC has 0, 1 or more projects ;
      PMC Attic is like PMC Incubator ; both have many projects
   -- graduation :
      -- a new PMC is established ;
      -- the projects moves from PMC Incubator to the new PMC
   -- project retirement :
      -- the project moves to PMC Attic
   -- PMC retirement :
      -- the PMC's projects are retired (moved to PMC Attic)
      -- the PMC is terminated

   IMHO, PMCs and projects must be treated as distict entities ;
   where each project has a parent (PMC) pointer.

   The board (secretary) can
   -- create and terminate PMCs
   -- create projects and move projects between PMCs

> - Sam Ruby

   Regards,

   Henk Penning

> On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 6:51 PM, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:
>> Statement of the problem (by Chris Lambertus):
>>
>> Our process for tlp creation is to run the script, figure out why half the
>> steps failed, re-run it a few times until it works, then go do all the
>> manual mailing list creations and jira and conflience etc. etc.
>>
>> General outline of the solution being explored (by Sam Ruby):
>>
>> The goal is to make it so that asf-secretary and pmc-chair people can do
>> most of the work themselves.  The first step will be to have me do the the
>> tlp requests manually this month (I'm in both groups) with the
>> infrastructure contractors (primarily @fluxo and @pono) providing guidance
>> and adjusting the authorizations as required.  As soon as it becomes
>> possible for the secretary and pmc chairs to execute these tasks, focus will
>> turn to automation and providing a web interface.
>>
>> Current code base:
>>
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/infrastructure/trunk/tlpreq
>>
>> Secretarial tasks will likely be merged into the board agenda tool, pmc
>> chair tasks will like be merged into the roster tool.
>>
>> - Sam Ruby

Henk P. Penning, ICT-beta                 R Uithof HFG-406   _/ \_
Budapestlaan 6, 3584CD Utrecht, NL        F +31 30 253 4553 \_/ \_/
http://www.staff.science.uu.nl/~penni101/ M penning@uu.nl     \_/