arrow-user mailing list archives

From Antoine Pitrou <anto...@python.org>
Subject Re: Is there a standard Arrow file/table extension?
Date Thu, 10 Jun 2021 15:08:11 GMT
On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 14:55:10 +0000
Jeff Wickstrom <jwickstrom@esri.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is there a standard extension for Arrow files with a table (one or more RecordBatch)
in them? I have seen ".arrow" and ".dat" used in samples. Seems like I have seen ".at" as
well.

> I know the Arrow library is agnostic about this. Some usages probably hide the Arrow
aspect and have their own file extension.

> In my case I want to provide a sample for using our api that outputs and Arrow table
in RecordBatch(es) in a file. Then my user will use that in some other library/package for
analysis (R, Matlab, etc.). I want the sample(s) to suggest the appropriate extension if one
exists.

We would recommend ".arrow" for Arrow IPC files, and potentially
".arrows" for the Arrow IPC streams.

Regards

Antoine.