arrow-user mailing list archives

From Antoine Pitrou <anto...@python.org>
Subject Re: C++ ARROW_DEPRECATED Use MemoryPool-less variant
Date Tue, 08 Jun 2021 13:11:42 GMT
On Tue, 8 Jun 2021 15:00:49 +0200
Antoine Pitrou <antoine@python.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Jun 2021 12:32:23 +0000
> "Weber, Eugene" <efweber@evoforge.org> wrote:
> >
> > When I compile example.cc under cpp/examples/minimal_build I get a depreciation
warning on:

> >       arrow::csv::TableReader::Make(arrow::default_memory_pool(),
> >                                     arrow::io::default_io_context(),
> >                                     input_file,
> >                                     arrow::csv::ReadOptions::Defaults(),
> >                                     arrow::csv::ParseOptions::Defaults(),
> >                                     arrow::csv::ConvertOptions::Defaults()));
> >
> > The deprecation code in reader.h is:
> >
> >   ARROW_DEPRECATED("Use MemoryPool-less variant (the IOContext holds a pool already)")
> >   static Result<std::shared_ptr<TableReader>> Make(
> >       MemoryPool* pool, io::IOContext io_context, std::shared_ptr<io::InputStream>
input,
> >       const ReadOptions&, const ParseOptions&, const ConvertOptions&);
> >
> > I've read the documentation on MemoryPool, but I'm still not fully understanding
the relationship between TableReader and MemoryPool, or how exactly to correct the example
code. I understand that the CVS table is read into a table structure in memory allocated from
the memory pool. I'm not understanding the meaning of "Use MemoryPool-less variant (the IOContext
holds a pool already)".

> What it means is that you don't need to pass a memory pool explicitly,
> since the IOContext parameter already has a memory pool inside.
>
> That said, it seems the example code should be updated for the newer
> API.  Thanks for noticing this.

This PR fixes the example code:
https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/10481

Regards