arrow-user mailing list archives

From Weston Pace <wes...@ursacomputing.com>
Subject Re: Long-Running Continuous Data Saving to File
Date Wed, 26 May 2021 22:07:12 GMT
Elad's advice is very helpful.  This is not a problem that Arrow solves
today (to the best of my knowledge).  It is a topic that comes up
periodically[1][2][3].  If a crash happens while your parquet stream writer
is open then the most likely outcome is that you will be missing the footer
(this gets written on close) and be unable to read the file (although it
could presumably be recovered).  The parquet format may be able to support
an append mode but readers don't typically support it.

I believe a common approach to this problem is to dump out lots of small
files as the data arrives and then periodically batch them together.  Kafka
is a great way to do this but it could be done with a single process as
well.  If you go very far down this path you will likely run into concerns
like durability and schema evolution so I don't mean to imply that it is
trivial :)

[1]
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/47113813/using-pyarrow-how-do-you-append-to-parquet-file
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PARQUET-1154