arrow-user mailing list archives

From "Uwe L. Korn" <uw...@xhochy.com>
Subject Re: [pyarrow] Pyarrow=2.0.0 without boost-cpp dependancy
Date Mon, 22 Feb 2021 19:19:44 GMT
Hello Alex,

no issues, happy to help and nice to see that your problem has been fixed with the change
of the configuration. If ever other problems come up with the conda package of Arrow, feel
free to open an issue at https://github.com/conda-forge/arrow-cpp-feedstock This is the best
place to post them.

Best
Uwe

On Mon, Feb 22, 2021, at 7:37 PM, Alex Tulenko wrote:
> Hi Uwe,
>
> I apologize for taking your time and thank you for confirming that boost-cpp is no longer
a runtime dependency. I see now that the issue was that our .condarc file placed the conda/anaconda
channel about conda/conda-forge channel causing it to download from that channel which for
some reason must still list boost-cpp as a dependency. Explicitly using conda-forge as the
channel via "conda install -c conda-forge pyarrow=2.0.0" now no longer pulls in boost-cpp.

> Thanks again,
> Alex
>
> On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 11:53 AM Uwe L. Korn <uwelk@xhochy.com> wrote:
>> __
>> Hello Alex,
>>
>> continuing this here instead of StackOverflow. Can you share your source of conda
packages: Do you use conda-forge? Can you share the output of `conda list` of your current
environment?

>> What stucks me is that we have never built pyarrow on conda-forge against boost-cpp
1.73, only 1.72 and 1.74. We though have removed boost-cpp as a runtime dependency so I suspect
the boost-cpp version change comes from packages that aren't from conda-forge but from conda-forge.

>> Best,
>> Uwe
>>
>> On Mon, Feb 22, 2021, at 1:48 AM, Alex Tulenko wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am in the process of upgrading a project from pyarrow 0.8.0 to 2.0.0. As part
of this upgrade I see boost-cpp 1.63 is installed into the environment. I have a number of
libraries that were linked against an older version of boost-cpp and so I would like to avoid
pulling in this new version of boost-cpp.

>>> I am generally looking for guidance on how to best handle this situation. Running
ldd on the libarrow*.so's installed into our conda env I can't actually see any references
to the libboost*.so's.

>>> This leads to my first question: is boost-cpp is a runtime requirement for pyarrow
2.0.0? (maybe only for certain components?) If it is a runtime requirement is there a recipe
for building pyarrow/arrow-cpp with static linkings or any version of pyarrow that can be
built without boost-cpp?