arrow-user mailing list archives

From "Uwe L. Korn" <uw...@xhochy.com>
Subject Re: [pyarrow] Pyarrow=2.0.0 without boost-cpp dependancy
Date Mon, 22 Feb 2021 16:52:39 GMT
Hello Alex,

continuing this here instead of StackOverflow. Can you share your source of conda packages:
Do you use conda-forge? Can you share the output of `conda list` of your current environment?

What stucks me is that we have never built pyarrow on conda-forge against boost-cpp 1.73,
only 1.72 and 1.74. We though have removed boost-cpp as a runtime dependency so I suspect
the boost-cpp version change comes from packages that aren't from conda-forge but from conda-forge.

Best,
Uwe

On Mon, Feb 22, 2021, at 1:48 AM, Alex Tulenko wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am in the process of upgrading a project from pyarrow 0.8.0 to 2.0.0. As part of this
upgrade I see boost-cpp 1.63 is installed into the environment. I have a number of libraries
that were linked against an older version of boost-cpp and so I would like to avoid pulling
in this new version of boost-cpp.

> I am generally looking for guidance on how to best handle this situation. Running ldd
on the libarrow*.so's installed into our conda env I can't actually see any references to
the libboost*.so's.

> This leads to my first question: is boost-cpp is a runtime requirement for pyarrow 2.0.0?
(maybe only for certain components?) If it is a runtime requirement is there a recipe for
building pyarrow/arrow-cpp with static linkings or any version of pyarrow that can be built
without boost-cpp?