arrow-user mailing list archives

From Wes McKinney <wesmck...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Sharing a C++-level pointer between Python and R
Date Sun, 03 Jan 2021 18:24:02 GMT
I didn't see any Jira issues about this so I opened
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ARROW-11120

On Sat, Jan 2, 2021 at 8:36 PM Wes McKinney <wesmckinn@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Thomas — no worries. Plasma is for brokering shared memory between processes. Here
we are talking about passing data structures between the Python and R interpreter running
in the same process.

> On Sat, Jan 2, 2021 at 6:46 PM Thomas Browne <thomas@crvm.io> wrote:
>>
>> Apols new user here - I thought this kind of use case is what the plasma
>> store was for?
>>
>> On 03/01/2021 00:20, Wes McKinney wrote:
>> > We can go R to/from Python from an R perspective with reticulate
>> >
>> > https://arrow.apache.org/docs/r/articles/python.html
>> >
>> > There are unit tests attesting to this working:
>> >
>> > https://github.com/apache/arrow/blob/master/r/tests/testthat/test-python.R
>> >
>> > However, I don't know of anyone trying to get interop from a Python
>> > perspective with rpy2; there may be a small amount of plumbing needed
>> > to get it working, others may know more.

an Arrow object with Python, perform initial filtering, and then pass a shared pointer to
R through rpy2 (meaning that an R6 object is created from this pointer and R package arrow).

or may be even already functional: https://github.com/apache/arrow/blob/master/r/src/py-to-r.cpp