arrow-user mailing list archives

From Elad Rosenheim <e...@dynamicyield.com>
Subject Building PyArrow wheel for AWS Graviton2 (ARMv8) - Gist
Date Thu, 21 Jan 2021 09:21:18 GMT
Hi,

AWS are touting ~20% lower cost and (potentially) increased performance for
their own ARM-based line (cg6<x> instance family) compared to current-gen
instances (c5 family).

Turns out that compiling a Python wheel for PyArrow on Amazon Linux 2 +
Graviton is pretty straightforward, here's a gist I've created:
https://gist.github.com/eladroz/b9437249a76de2b394d54e646d53ec5e

My own (very non-comprehensive) test showed essentially similar performance
to current-gen Intel, but the price difference alone is interesting and in
big data workloads can be significant.

Hope that helps anyone down the line; I'll probably try to run more
benchmarks.

Elad Rosenheim