arrow-user mailing list archives

From Andrew Lamb <al...@influxdata.com>
Subject Re: does rust API support memory mapped read/write ?
Date Sun, 15 Nov 2020 12:21:40 GMT
I think your conclusion that the Rust API doesn't support using mmap'd
files as a way to read/write arrow files.

In general, I suspect using mmap in Rust is a bit dicey (aka unsafe)  as
the normal Rust rules of ownership are hard to apply to chunks of memory
that can be (potentially) modified by different processes etc. It is
probably fine in most read only cases.

I am curious about your desire to use mmap for reading ipc streams (to
understand more if we should be looking into mmap support). As I understand
it, the ipc interface is designed for streaming reads/writes, and thus the
easy random access of mmap seems less important. Are you concerned about
Reader performance?

Andrew