arrow-user mailing list archives

From Francois Saint-Jacques <fsaintjacq...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Archery benchmark not using multicore while running tests.
Date Fri, 20 Nov 2020 01:07:38 GMT
Hello Kiel,

This is on purpose (unless the test is explicitly testing multi-core).
The goal is to minimize the variance of micro-benchmarks due to the
effect of turbo-boost, downclocking or even memory bandwidth
congestion. I recall that some tests were very particularly affected
by this. An improved approach could be to study and find such tests
and mark them to run with a "global-lock".

Fran├žois

On Thu, Nov 19, 2020 at 4:54 PM Kiel Friedt <Kiel.Friedt@arm.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>

> I am benchmarking using archery and during the initial build I do see many cores are
used for building. Averaging around 60% on a 8 core machine. But after building only a single
core is used. How can I allow tests to run and utilize all cores on my system?

> Kiel
>

> IMPORTANT NOTICE: The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential and
may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately
and do not disclose the contents to any other person, use it for any purpose, or store or
copy the information in any medium. Thank you.