arrow-user mailing list archives

From Bernd Wiswedel <bernd.wiswe...@knime.com>
Subject [Java] Issues with "Split Packages" and OSGi (and probably Java 9+)
Date Mon, 24 Aug 2020 21:52:52 GMT
We at KNIME (https://www.knime.com/) are currently looking at Arrow as an
alternative data representation. Our platform is based on Eclipse and uses
OSGi for dependency management. As part of that we use the Arrow artifacts
available from maven and convert them to OSGI bundles.

We noticed that at least one java package (org.apache.arrow.util) is
provided in two different artifacts

   - arrow-memory-core: (Link to GitHub
   <https://github.com/apache/arrow/tree/master/java/memory/memory-core/src/main/java/org/apache/arrow/util>
   )
   - arrow-vectors: (Link to GitHub
   <https://github.com/apache/arrow/tree/master/java/vector/src/main/java/org/apache/arrow/util>
   )

This is causing us trouble as the package is available via two chains. I
believe this is also going to be troublesome once it's used in a Java 9+
environment where different modules(*) can't share the same package ('split
package' -- some more details are here
<https://www.logicbig.com/tutorials/core-java-tutorial/modules/split-packages.html>
).

The simplest solution is to move classes from one package to the other
(same) package. If that's not an accepted option it could also be moved
into a new artifact(*) arrow-util or so.

Please advise!

Thanks,
 Bernd

(*) Bundle, Module, Plug-In, Artefact ... different terms used in different
contexts but they mostly mean the same thing.