arrow-user mailing list archives

From Bernd Wiswedel <bernd.wiswe...@knime.com>
Subject Re: [Java] Issues with "Split Packages" and OSGi (and probably Java 9+)
Date Tue, 25 Aug 2020 07:50:54 GMT
Jokes aside and on second thought: Package renaming is considered an API
break and would usually require a major release according to semantic
versioning.

I believe any change to fix this issue is going to cause an API break
(including moving classes within the same package to a different artifact).
As it stands right now I don't think the artifacts can be used in a Java 9+
module system (anyone there to prove me wrong?), and it's going to be
painful in an OSGi environment. (In our project we currently really only
care about the latter right now.)

On the plus side the API change is easy to understand and fix.

Thanks,
 Bernd