arrow-user mailing list archives

From Wes McKinney <wesmck...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Python] Providing user-defined meta-data to FlightClient.put()
Date Sat, 08 Aug 2020 19:09:07 GMT
You can put that metadata in the data schema, is there a reason that
won't work?

On Sat, Aug 8, 2020 at 10:43 AM sozin <sozinsky@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello! I'm using the Python client library, and would like to include some additional
meta-data to the server during the do_put call. For example,

> `lineage = dict(id=id,
>                             created_by=user_name,
>                             created_on=creation_date,
>                             derived_from=[derived_from_id],
>                              git_sha=git_sha)
> client.do_put(flight_descriptor, schema, lineage)
> `
> (I have a requirement to track the data lineage for columnar-oriented data, hence the
meta-data contains things like who made the df, when they made it, the gitsha of the program
that made the data, etc).

> I have gone through the flight descriptor code to see if it had anything to help me (hoping
for something generic like `fight_descriptor.set_property("meta_data", meta_data)` that I
could use during the server's `do_put`), but found nothing :-(