I think your first question is: can I skip the validity buffer if I know all values are defined.

In the Java library, you cannot. This was a design choice to simplify implementations. The memory consumption difference is relatively small and collapsing the concepts was done to clean up code.

Fun fact: This was done in the second design iteration of the Java library (the first one included support for this). We identified that many sources of data are actually all annotated as nullable but are mostly or are all non-null. Part of this is user laziness, part due to tools since they frequently don't support generating both types of data (writers of Parquet frequently do this, for example). As such, we found that wordwise operations against validity vectors that adapt processing code based on continuous sequences of nullable and non-nullable values was actually substantially more beneficial to generalized real-world workloads (while also simplifying the codebase).