Hi Chris,
Have you read through the "reading and writing streaming format docs" [1].  If this doesn't work or you have something different in mind, some code samples of what you are currently doing might help.

I'll add that I think the dictionary APIs in java aren't the most ergonomic so if you have ideas on improving them, feel free to propose something.

Thanks,
Micah

[1] https://arrow.apache.org/docs/java/ipc.html#writing-and-reading-streaming-format