arrow-user mailing list archives

From Wes McKinney <wesmck...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Does Arrow Flight use memory-mapped files for IPC within the same host?
Date Mon, 27 Jul 2020 19:46:01 GMT
Something that would be interesting would be to create a high-level
interface with Flight and Plasma (or something like Plasma) that
chooses IPC / shared memory over RPC when client and server are on the
same machine. This would require some development, though

On Thu, Jul 23, 2020 at 3:23 AM Xiaozhen Liu <jamie@seu.edu.cn> wrote:

> Hi Ryan,
>

> Thank you! These are really great suggestions. I’ll definitely try them.
>

> Best,
>
> Xiaozhen

parts of the network stack and two processes will talk directly to each other

> * use a unix socket. I believe grpc can bind to a unix socket rather than a port which
will also be faster than the network stack

> * Flight is based on grpc, however it isn't coupled to it. You could theoretically replace
grpc w/ a memory mapped file based protocol

> * design your own IPC w/ memory mapped files
>

> Hope that helps!
>

> Best,
>
> Ryan
>

> On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 2:00 PM Xiaozhen Liu <jamie@seu.edu.cn> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone,
>

> Lately, I’ve been experimenting with Arrow Flight. For now, I think it is really great,
especially when I’m not planning on building my own IPC framework (as I’ve mentioned earlier
I’m trying to use Arrow to communicate between Java and Python processes). And the data
transfer speed is very satisfactory, although I haven’t tried very big data.

> However, I’m wondering this: when I’m using Arrow Flight to do IPC within the same
machine, is there any kind of optimization? And by optimization I mean will Flight internally
use something like memory-mapped files to transfer data? Because even though Flight optimizes
speed, if it still transfers data over the wire it cannot be faster than shared-memory (file),
right?

> I know this may be strange since Arrow Flight is an RPC framework and will probably be
better suited for communication between different hosts. But the fact that it also provides
an RPC protocol that saves me the trouble of building my own IPC framework makes me choose
Flight to do IPC (currently still on the same host).

> I know that KNIME Analytics Platform also uses Arrow for IPC, and it also uses temp Arrow
file to transfer data. I can also do this within the framework of Arrow Flight by simply passing
the location of temp files in the messages. But first I just want to see if it is already
implemented by Flight internally.

> I’ve looked up the source code of Flight and haven’t found anything that looks like
what I’m describing. Am I missing something, or is this the case, Flight doesn’t (and
doesn’t plan to ) use file for IPC within the same host?