arrow-user mailing list archives

From Wes McKinney <wesmck...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: PyArrow building from source issue
Date Fri, 01 May 2020 17:27:52 GMT
This part doesn't look correct

-DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=$ARROW_HOME \
      -DCMAKE_INSTALL_LIBDIR=/home/vibhatha/sandbox/arrow/repos/arrow/cpp/arrowmylibs

The usual incantation is

-DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=$ARROW_HOME \
      -DCMAKE_INSTALL_LIBDIR=lib

The reason we pass -DCMAKE_INSTALL_LIBDIR=lib is that some systems
will install libraries in lib32 or lib64 instead of just lib

On Fri, May 1, 2020 at 10:38 AM Vibhatha Abeykoon <vibhatha@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Neal,
>
> Yes, I added the flag. But I installed my libs not to /usr/lib, but to a different folder.
>
> This is the way I built arrow C++,
>
> cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=$ARROW_HOME \
>       -DCMAKE_INSTALL_LIBDIR=/home/vibhatha/sandbox/arrow/repos/arrow/cpp/arrowmylibs
\
>       -DARROW_WITH_BZ2=OFF \
>       -DARROW_WITH_ZLIB=OFF \
>       -DARROW_WITH_ZSTD=OFF \
>       -DARROW_WITH_LZ4=OFF \
>       -DARROW_WITH_SNAPPY=OFF \
>       -DARROW_WITH_BROTLI=OFF \
>       -DARROW_PARQUET=ON \
>       -DARROW_PYTHON=ON \
>       -DARROW_BUILD_TESTS=ON \
>       -DPYTHON_EXECUTABLE=/home/vibhatha/sandbox/arrow/repos/arrow/ENVARROW/bin/python3
\
>       ..
>

> With Regards,
> Vibhatha Abeykoon,
> Research Assistant,
> Intelligent Systems Engineering,
> Indiana University Bloomington,
> Cell : +1-812-955-1394
> Web: https://www.vibhatha.org
>

> On Fri, May 1, 2020 at 11:29 AM Neal Richardson <neal.p.richardson@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Vibhatha,
>> Did you build Arrow C++ with -DARROW_PYTHON=ON?
>>
>> Neal
>>
>> On Fri, May 1, 2020 at 8:24 AM Vibhatha Abeykoon <vibhatha@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am trying to integrate Arrow with an application that I am developing. Here
I build Arrow from the source (CPP) and use the API to develop some custom functions to do
a scientific calculation after data loaded with Arrow table API. On top of this, I develop
a Cython API to design a python API.

>>> In the current stage, I have a new necessity where I need to consume Arrow Cython
API for my code.

>>> Here It was hard to link the build libarrow.so.16 with the libarrow_python.so.16
from the installed pyarrow (separately from pip). What I realised was everything has to be
built from the same source, so that I can install pyarrow from the source in my virtual environment.

>>> Before going through deeper things, I started by just building from source (CPP)
and then moving towards installing pyarrow from the source.

>>> I tried to follow the guideline form here,
>>>
>>> https://arrow.apache.org/docs/developers/python.html,
>>>
>>> But when I found issues in the python build, I followed this source,
>>> (but still, I used the clone from the master, not a released version)
>>>
>>> https://gist.github.com/heavyinfo/04e1326bb9bed9cecb19c2d603c8d521
>>>
>>> My environmental variables are as follows,
>>>
>>> python3 setup.py build_ext --inplace
>>> running build_ext
>>> -- Running cmake for pyarrow
>>> cmake -DPYTHON_EXECUTABLE=/home/vibhatha/sandbox/arrow/repos/arrow/ENVARROW/bin/python3
 -DPYARROW_BUILD_CUDA=off -DPYARROW_BUILD_FLIGHT=off -DPYARROW_BUILD_GANDIVA=off -DPYARROW_BUILD_DATASET=off
-DPYARROW_BUILD_ORC=off -DPYARROW_BUILD_PARQUET=on -DPYARROW_BUILD_PLASMA=off -DPYARROW_BUILD_S3=off
-DPYARROW_BUILD_HDFS=off -DPYARROW_USE_TENSORFLOW=off -DPYARROW_BUNDLE_ARROW_CPP=off -DPYARROW_BUNDLE_BOOST=off
-DPYARROW_GENERATE_COVERAGE=off -DPYARROW_BOOST_USE_SHARED=on -DPYARROW_PARQUET_USE_SHARED=on
-DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=release /home/vibhatha/sandbox/arrow/repos/arrow/python