arrow-user mailing list archives

From Wes McKinney <wesmck...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: check whether pandas type is convertible to arrow type
Date Sat, 30 May 2020 15:07:05 GMT
I don't think there is specifically (one could be added in theory). Is
the goal to determine whether `pyarrow.array(pandas_object)` will
succeed or not, or something else? Since a lot of pandas data is
opaquely represented with object dtype it can be tricky unless you
want to go to the expense of using `pandas.lib.infer_dtype` to
determine the effective logical type of the values.

On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 4:18 PM Sandy Ryza <sandyryza@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> If I have a pandas dtype and an arrow type, is there a pyarrow API that allows me to
check whether the pandas dtype is convertible to the arrow type?

> It seems like "arrow_type.to_pandas_dtype() == pandas_dtype" would work in most cases,
because pandas dtypes tend to be at least as wide as equivalent arrow types, but I'm wondering
whether there's something more principled.