arrow-user mailing list archives

From Wes McKinney <wesmck...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Snappy Compression with red-parquet Ruby Gem
Date Thu, 23 Apr 2020 21:04:56 GMT
hi David,

You don't want to pass the compression option to TableSaver.new --
compression is something that's configured in the Parquet writer. This
would need to be an option on save_as_parquet, but it doesn't look
like it is exposed right now

https://github.com/apache/arrow/blob/master/ruby/red-parquet/lib/parquet/arrow-table-savable.rb#L21

It's available in GLib though so this could be added to the Ruby library

https://github.com/apache/arrow/blob/master/c_glib/parquet-glib/arrow-file-writer.h

- Wes

On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 3:13 PM David Lahn <david.lahn@forwardpmx.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> Does anyone have any examples of how to output a Parquet file with Snappy compression
using the Ruby gem?

> We have tested trying to set compression to “snappy” on the TableSaver, but we get
the following:

> [compressed-output-stream][new]: NotImplemented: Streaming compression unsupported with
Snappy (Arrow::Error::NotImplemented)

> Example:
>

> Arrow::TableSaver.new(table, 'test.parquet', {compression: 'snappy'}).save
>

> Or are we completely turned around on how to accomplish this?
>

> Dave
>

> David Lahn
> DevOps Lead
> Development
>
> ForwardPMX
> Privacy Policy
>
> e: david.lahn@forwardpmx.com
> d: +44 (0)203 476 3725 (main office number)
> m: +1 519 573 1624
>

> This e-mail is confidential to ForwardPMX intended for use by the recipient. If you received
this in error or are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review,
retransmission, copying or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information
is strictly prohibited.