arrow-user mailing list archives

From Wes McKinney <wesmck...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Why are dictionary indices signed?
Date Wed, 25 Mar 2020 21:51:37 GMT
It was a deliberate decision to use signed indices. The thought
process as I recall was that it was a more compatible choice to use
across programming languages. In theory both signed and unsigned
indices could be supported, but it becomes a question whether you want
to maintain 8 code paths for code that processes dictionary indices.

On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 3:48 PM Daniel Nugent <nugend@gmail.com> wrote:

> Can’t find much in the way of reasoning in documentation for this. Closest is some
issues about unsigned ints not being implemented a while back.

> Has this become a deep dependency or is it still just an accident of implementation?
It appears that only the unsigned indices are used.